Translate

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Found Objects Project

A total of six (6) objects are required for this assignment.

Look at the artist Nigel Poor. 

Website link here
Go to the "Found" project.

Step 1: Collect found objects.

Step 2: Keep notes on all info you associate with finding of each object.  For instance, where you found the object, what the weather was like, who you were with

Step 3: Photograph each object on a black/gray/white background and post on your blog. The visual goal here is to focus on the qualities of the object.  Allow the object to "float" in the black background.  Refer to the images Nigel Poor took of her found objects.  Post images on your blog.

Step 4: Make a sculptural response for each object.  You may use the same process and materials for each response or change it up.  Installation, performance and video are also acceptable.

Step 5: Write a statement for each response.  Incorporate your notes from when you found each object.  Rather than post the text, record your statement and post the audio on your blog.  Organize audio and images so that the experience of looking and listening are unified. You can refer to Poor's process of using audio.



Below is an excerpt from the book Collections of Nothing. What King has to say directly applies to this assignment.


Amazon link here.

"I have long been a collector, but I recognize now that I am not the same as other collectors. My own collecting is different because I refuse the object that cries in the marketplace. I respond to the mute, meager, practically valueless object, like a sea-washed spigot, its mouth stoppered by a stone. My collecting is perverse and paradoxical. It is still collecting, especially as it corresponds to the compensatory pattern widely observed among collectors, the making up for a love lost. What I like is the potency of the impotent thing, the renewed and adorable life I find in the dead and despised object, something in nothing. I am held by this divinity, and I like to think there is warmth there.” From Chapter II, Collections Of Nothing, William Davies King, Chicago Press

No comments:

Post a Comment