Translate

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Rachel DeCuba, Student Work, Downtown Peephole Project, St. Augustine, Florida, Spring 2013







I chose to work with The Floridian, a restaurant, for the Downtown Peephole project.  I created a house out of wood. The Floridian's atmosphere is southern comfort for a new generation. I wanted the sculpture to appear familiar and inviting to the viewer. I placed fabric inside of the house that is reminiscent of vintage wall paper, and resembles many of the vintage dishes that are used by the restaurant. The final element of the house was the small oranges made out of clay. In my work I use oranges as a symbol for Florida -  a Florida that existed before my time as well as the Florida I remember growing up. The orange also appears in the logo for The Floridian. -Rachel DeCuba

The Floridian Restaurant, St. Augustine, Florida



No comments:

Post a Comment