Translate

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Lauren Gonzalez, Student Work


Title: Hebrew
Materials: Wood 
Dimensions: 13" x 5"

Spell Reading #4 The Flesh of Language, pp. 73 - 91


On page 77, the last sentence of the first paragraph
"Language, in this view, is rather like a code; it is a way of representing actual things and events in the perceived world"

Artist Statement: This entire chapter really focused on language and it's origins. This specific sentence made me think of language as a literal code. It also makes me think of language as a bunch of signs arranged in random sequence. I decided to literally translate the original sentence into hebrew, and burn the words into a piece of wood. I chose hebrew because the language is foreign to me and I see it a a type of "code.

No comments:

Post a Comment