Translate

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Mariah Torres, Ceramic Sculpture I





Social Issue
Glazed Ceramic
5" x 14" x 4.5"

Reflection Statement
The ceramic sculpture entitled, Social Issue, was inspired by the gentrification of Puerto Rico. I began by making the island itself, the formation of the land, and shaping the top into the shape of Puerto Rico. I would then make my rendition of a large expensive building as it overtakes the space while bleeding into the land. Originally, I had planned to have things personal to the culture falling down the foundation. Such as the national frog and flowers, although, I would decide to keep the piece simple.  This piece is very personal to me, being  Puerto Rican myself and having a family that still resides on the Island. Hearing the effects, it is having on the island and the people. I wanted to emphasize the invasiveness through the large and daunting structure. Also, experimenting with color, I knew I wanted the building to be metallic. Pieces like these help me further explore ideas and my style. I hope to keep exploring symbolic and abstract works.   






Maurice
Glazed Ceramic
7" x 4" x 3.5"

Reflection Statement
The ceramic sculpture entitled, Maurice, was inspired by the movie Little Monsters. A 1989 children's film about a boy who befriends the monster under his bed. I intend to visually communicate the pinnacle moment of the movie when the monster Maurice is introduced. Originally, I had wanted to sculpt the character as a bust. Although, through brainstorming, I considered ways I could include him subtly. Focusing on the bed and including his hands, protruding from underneath. A struggle I encountered was keeping the bed's shape while remaining hollow on the bottom. The movie is personal to me as it is one of my favorite movies. I was attempting to make a bed that resembled the period it was made in. As well as the colors that were chosen. This piece allowed me to explore furniture and the movement in fabric through ceramics. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment