Translate

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Kimmy Schander, Student Work









"Reflecting on Man Draining Nature: Diffract, Refract, Reflection" 

48" X 48" X 108"

Found tree trunk with PVC pipe embedded, more PVC pipes, tree branches, wrapping paper, assorted glass jars, water, glycerin, glass rods, and red acrylic paint

Statement:
After I gathered all my materials, I sat in the space with my tree trunk and pipes, allowing the three walls to surround me. I wanted it to shape my emotions, somehow, and incorporate my thoughts on nature. I was still reflecting on how light bends objects through water, too....and then the pipes spoke out! I immediately thought about how we are draining nature, and began incorporating all my previous ideas, and this one, into a whole new one. My goal being,  that my viewers would grasp a similar experience because our Earth's natural resources are diminishing,  and man is to blame. Winifred Gallagher called it "The Science of experience" in "The Power of Place. Yes, we need to reflect on how man is draining nature. We need to diffract from our current ways refracting in the light of nature. . .bending with the waters of willpower, and change our wasteful ways, before we drain her dry. 




No comments:

Post a Comment