Translate

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Rachel Lee, Student Work











Play-Dough



Black and White Filter


Artist Statement

For this sculpture collection I was inspired by Tami Ashcraft, a female sailor who had her boat shipwrecked during Hurricane Raymond in the 80's and had to find her way back to land, whilst stranded alone in the middle of the ocean. There is a book and movie about Tami's story titled 'Adrift' and it is where I sourced most of my inspiration for sculptures. Within this work I wanted to create an open boat form to hold the objects inspired by Tami and her story. I also wanted to create a clay background inspired by the strength of the sea and the hurricane. Within the boat I have several mini-sculptures that are representative of Tami's character. One of the objects being a bird sitting on the top of the boat. I constructed this bird to be representative of a sign of hope that Tami saw as she got closer to land at the end of her story. I also constructed a chain to represent her strength throughout the narrative. Another object I created includes a spiral sphere to be representative of the repetitive tasks Tami did daily to keep her sane. There is also a pile of spheres within the boat, I constructed these to be representative of the dwindling levels of supplies Tami had to survive off of. Next to the spheres, I have created a compass, map, and telescope. These tools were vital to Tami's survival and ended up being what got her home safe. I also created an anatomical heart to represent Tami's grit and continued love for sailing and the ocean, even after her shipwreck. The last object is inspired by a broken sail and lines to represent the overall shipwreck.

https://rachellee255.wixsite.com/3dblog/post/miniature

No comments:

Post a Comment