Translate

Friday, May 16, 2014

Marlena Lomanco, Student Work




I chose to make my installation for the nightstand drawer that was next to the bed. I chose this spot because it was small, and had to be opened. The notion of being able to conceal my installation was what I was drawn to. My piece itself was made based on my fascination with what people take with them while traveling. Staying in a hotel is a temporary thing, sometimes it lasts a very short time, other times it can last longer. It is interesting to think about what items certain people travel with, and how others might not choose to bring that particular item along. There is a certain level of preciousness given to belongings, and that is what I wanted to show with my piece. I also wanted to explore compulsive tendencies; I wanted the “guest” of the room to have a collection of precious items that he/she had to bring with them. 
The pieces I made are variations of the same, varying in size and shape slightly. I melted wax over small, thin, wooden sticks and then wrapped them with thread. They are intimate and unrecognizable, somewhat resembling a figure. I wanted to make something that could be interpreted differently, but still seemed important. The placement was intended to emphasize the compulsive nature of our “guest.”

No comments:

Post a Comment