Translate

Friday, May 16, 2014

Michelle Behling, Student Work, Response to Reading, Spell of the Sensuous






"The word wen signifies a conglomeration of marks... It applies to the veins in stones and wood, to constellations... and even... to the designs that decorate the turtle's shell ("The turtle is wise," an ancient text says... "for it carries designs on its back')" (96).

David Abram. Spell of the Sensuous (1996).

I am interested in the part about the turtle and it's design. I chose to look at my roommate's dog. He has an interesting pattern of stripes in his fur, his design or wen. Under the cover of darkness, I took the dog for a walk. In the places he marked his territory, I visually marked the spot by replicating the pattern in his fur. I wanted the spot to be visually marked by his designs, as well as his scent, to record the moment of his presence at the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment